Interesting sights

Baška has a great many cultural features of interest, from old buildings and palaces to sacral monuments. We have chosen some of the most important ones.

This is the biggest church in the Baška area. It was built in Baroque style at the beginning of the 18th century (in 1723) and the interior holds eight altars, one dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The pictures that decorate the church are works of well-known painters: Fran Jurić of the 18th century, the Venetians Paulo Campso of the 16th century and Jacopo Palma the Younger of the 17th century.
The church houses a valuable gift from the Princes of Krk, the Frankopans, an artistically crafted silver cross.
The bell tower is 28 m high, and dates back to 1766.


This was the first parish church in the valley, from the 11th century. Its bell tower houses the oldest bell in the area from 1431, called “The Old Man”. The church was abandoned at the beginning of the 19th century, and later restored after an epidemic of cholera. There is a cemetery by the church, where the local people have been buried for centuries.

The Church of St. John is open for visitors during the months of June – August every morning

8 am – Noon

Closed Sundays.


The church was built at the beginning of the 15th century and its interior is decorated with altar paintings by Celestin Medović. It is also known for its bell from 1594, which tolls traditionally when the settlements in the valley are visited by the bishop of Krk.
The church was named after the hummock “Goričica” in Jurandvor, where it was first built.
The Holy Mother at Gorica is the most celebrated Marian shrine in the diocese of Krk.

Info:

Svetište Majke Božje Goričke
Batomalj 59
+385 (051) 856 547
+385 (091) 894 66 96
+385 (051) 856 171
svetiste@majkabozjagoricka.com


The small Romanesque chapel was built in 1514. It is located at Pirnica, close to the famous Vela plaža beach and the Atrium Residence Baška Hotel. Remains of an antique mosaic and basilica from 5 th century A.C. are located beneath the chapel. A baptistery from the early Christian period was found as well. The size of the basilica determined by archaeological research suggests that in that period the area of Baška’s valley was densely inhabited. During the summer months, the chapel is opened for visitors.

 

The Baška Tablet is a national monument, significant for the Croatian nation. It is a glagolitic inscription, a document consisting of 13 lines carved in stone. The text documents a donation from the Croatian king Zvonimir (1075-1089) to the church of St.Lucy in Jurandvor, where the Baška Tablet was found inserted in the church floor.
It was found  by Petar Dorčić, the local priest, in 1851.
Following is Vjekoslav Štefanić’s interpretation of the text:

White limestone,
199 x 99,5 x 9 cm

1100. In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. I, abbot Držiha, write about the land given to St.Lucy by Zvonimir, the Croatian king, in his days. Witnesses are Desimir, the prefect of Krbava, Martin in Lika, Pribineža, delegate in Vinodol, and Jacob fom the island. If this is denied by anyone, may he be cursed by God and the 12 apostles and 4 evangelists and St.Lucy. Amen. May those who live here, pray to God for them. I, abbot Dobrovit built this church with my nine brethren  in the time of Prince Kuzma who ruled his county. In those days, Mikula in Otočac was together with St.Lucy (=the churches / monasteries of St.Nicholas in Otočac and of St.Lucy were under the same authority).

The church was built on the remains of an early Christian church at the turn of the 13th century. It is the most significant church, not only in the area and on the island, but in Croatia, as the famous and invaluable Baška Tablet from the year 1100 was found there. The church houses a copy of the original tablet.
The main altar is decorated with a wooden polyptych, the work of masters Luke and John, sons of Paolo Veneziano, from the 14th century. The original polyptych is kept in the bishop’s residence in Krk.

Info:

“AZ” AGENCY FOR CULTURE AND TOURISM
+ 385 51 860 184
www.azjurandvor.com
azjurandvor@yahoo.com



is dedicated to glagolitics and all glagolitic writers throughout history. It is a Croatian historical primer from a to Ω.
The aim behind the project was to construct a long-lasting memorial, which will teach visitors about the cultural-historical significance and values of the area, and also the history of Croatian statehood. This was carried out in the Baška valley, the area where the Baška tablet had been discovered – the document about Croatian statehood from 1100 A.D. As a result of this project, a path made out of stone sculptures was created, which stretches from the Treskavac pass all the way to the old pier in Baška harbour. The path is not in a straight line, since all the sculptures are located beside important cultural, and historical landmarks or significant natural areas. There are 34 stone sculptures with sculpted glagolitic letters; four of larger dimensions, and the work of the academic sculptor Ljubo De Karine, and thirty taking smaller dimensions, created during the Baška sculptors workshop. The mentor and artistic director of the project is Ljubo De Karina. The project took between 4 to 5 years to complete. Within this series of sculptures, there is a 35th one, which is a sculpture dedicated to glagolitics and glagolitic writers. All the sculptures are adorned with a brass plaque. This is placed on the sculpture’s plinth and shows the traditional letter of the sculpture, the name of the sculptor, the Latin translation of the letter, an inscription in Braille, and the name of the person whose donation funded the sculpture. The BGS project was started by the Sinjali Association from Baška, and  finished in 2009.

Info:

Association “Sinjali”
info@sinjali.hr
+385 (091) 1856533
+385 (091) 7502976

It was opened in 1970, and contains an ethnographic collection of the Baška area.It has Baška’s folk costume, old crockery and kitchen utensils on display.
There is also a memorial room of Dr Zdenka Čermakova (1884-1968), the famed Czech woman physician who spent her working life in Baška as the local physician. Since 1997, the Baška Heritage Museum has been cooperating with the Brittenau Heritage Museum, Vienna. The museum can be visited in the afternoon hours in the summer months.

 

are dry wall buildings that take the shape of stone flowers, and are intended for the temporary collection and classification of sheep owned by different people. During the year, the sheep get mixed up since they graze freely on the heights that encircle the valley of Baška. Mrgari are normally over ten metres long, and the largest one can hold up to 1500 sheep. A few times a year shepherds carry out the joint activity of classifying the sheep. This is when they look at and separate their own flock into small mrgarice that look like petals, and encircle the central mrgara or “pen”.

These beautiful examples of local architecture can only be found on the southern most point of the Island of Krk, and the uninhabited neighbouring island of Prvić. There are around 15 in total and most of them are still in use. There are only two other places in Europe where similar constructions can be found – Great Britain (Wales) and Iceland.