Archaeological cave sites bear proof that Baška was inhabited in prehistoric times.
The ancient inhabitants were the Illyrians, mainly the Iapod tribe. A Roman settlement by the sea developed in the same area that was inhabited by the Illyrian tribes in the 2nd century B.C., but Baška grew into a settlement later, in 418 A.D., on the hill of St.John which overlooks today’s resort. Baška as a fortified castle was first mentioned in 1232 (Castelum Besca).
Baška shares its past with the rest of the island. Following the Illyrian period and Roman times, it came under the rulership of Byzantium and later under Hungaro-Croatian sovereignty. Halfway through the middle ages, after the end of the rule of the mighty Krk Frankopan Knights, the island was ruled by Venice, Austria, and also Napoleon’s Illyrians.
With the fall of Napoleon, Baška and Krk are once more under the rulership of Austria till the end of World War 1 (1918) when the island was incorporated in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.
After the end of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia in 1991, Baška became a part of the Republic of Croatia.
Since 1994, it has been an independent municipality on the Island of Krk (together with five other Municipalities and the town of Krk).